The sun is here and we are all happy about the vacations, beaches, and the pool! However, summer is not a great time for your hair, especially if you have hair extensions. Hair extensions need a lot more pampering and constant attention than natural hair because they don’t receive any nutrients from the scalp to rejuvenate. Your hair extensions get easily tangled, frizzy, and dry making them prone to breakage and reducing their lifespan.
Here are a few tips to care for your hair extensions in summer.
- Swimming: Yes, you can enjoy all the water activities in summer as long as you take care of your hair extensions. If you are using clip-in hair extensions, you may not have to worry much but if you are using tapes or bonds, you’ll need to be extra careful. Tie your hair into braids and buns before you dive in to avoid tangles. Ponytails tend to strain the clip-in and tapes of the hair extensions. Water and sweat can wear away the sheen of the hair extensions so it’s best to keep water contact to a minimum, especially when extensions go through soaking. Pat dry your extensions instead of blow drying them. Never sleep with wet hair under the sun since your hair extensions may get tangled.
- Protect your hair extensions from the sun: UV rays don’t just harm your skin but also your hair. Prolonged exposure to the harsh summer sun can dry your hair extensions and make them brittle. Try to keep your hair out of the sun as much as you can. You can either use a hat or a heat protectant spray.
- Shampoo & Conditioner: It is important to wash away any dirt, sweat, or product that may have built up as a part of your summer activities. If you wear your hair extension everyday, it is likely that you’ll need to wash it often. It’s recommended to use moisturizing products such as hydrating shampoos and conditioners. You may need to treat your hair extensions at least 3 times weekly.
- Avoid Heat Styling: Hair extensions should be subjected to minimum heat styling and more so during summers when your hair extensions are exposed to harsh sunlight. Set your hair dryer to ‘warm’ instead of ‘hot’ and avoid the use of excessive heat tools like straighteners and curling irons. Get creative with styling your hair without using heating tools like unique braids and buns. If you want to give your hair the wavy style, braid it or bun up overnight. Always use heat protectant sprays before using heat styling tools.
- Brush, Brush, Brush: It is important to brush your hair extensions every day to avoid them from tangling and knotting. There are several hair brushes in the market that are specifically designed for hair extensions. They are gentle and the teeth of the brush aren’t sharp. Don’t brush wet or sweaty hair because that’s when they are most vulnerable to breakage.
Hair extensions add vibrancy to your hair. But if you don’t take care of them, they are going to mess up the entire look. If you think your summer activities and vacations will strain your hair extensions beyond measure, it is advisable that you don’t use them regularly. We are sure these tips are bound to keep your hair extensions intact as you enjoy your summer vibes.